Monday 19 October 2009

The Jolly Woodman, Littleworth Common, 18 October 2009

This is my new favourite pub. Perhaps I have a thing for old fashioned pubs, hidden in tiny villages, with names that begin 'The Jolly...' (see this blog entry), and my expectations were high, but The Jolly Woodman in Littleworth Common, reached and surpassed them, from the moment we spotted it through the trees.


Initial glances at the website made it look like it could be a bit polished for my liking, but it ticked all my pub boxes - lots of comfy looking nooks and crannies, old-man-pub carpet, exciting selections of locally brewed drink and lovely people behind the bar. Sadly we weren't here for lunch - although we immediately decided that next time we'd come here hungry, as both the menu and smell of the Sunday Roasts were very appealing.

Instead we opted for some 'Welsh Rarebit' flavour Tyrrells. Leandri was unimpressed with the way they smelt, but they had a strong distinctive cheesy flavour, which was actually quite appealing.
The bar staff were grappling with an exciting mulled wine dispenser when we arrived. I love mulled stuff (not just wine - last year Alex inspired me to do my own mulling and make various mulled beverages (wine, cider, apple juice, at every opportunity). It felt like winter was well on its way, so I had my first mulled wine of the year which felt like an appropriate drink to be consuming in this pub. (They were advertising their Christmas menu which looked truly wonderful). There were no raised eyebrows at Leandri's usual order of Guinness and tomato juice (in the same glass), just lovely friendly service.


We settled down for a cosy afternoon, but as the original plan had been to go for a walk in the autumn sun (but we'd been distracted by the idea of the pub as so often happens), I was determined to have a short walk. Particularly as there were a number of exciting looking footpaths into Burnham Beeches from the pub car park.

Our short walk was quite lovely - we encountered unexpected ponds and ducks, and on our way back, another pub! Finally back at The Jolly Woodman, we found a large beer garden that would be amazing in the summer.

Overall

Cosy, cute and old fashioned. A lovely place to be in a really pretty location.

9/10

(I will write about it again after I've eaten there!)

No comments:

Post a Comment