Saturday 29 September 2012

Mo-zam-bik, Brooklyn, Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa



It was tricky as a solo business traveller to South Africa, to really sample authentic cuisine. Luckily for me though, one of my hospitable local colleagues took me to one of her favourite restaurants, Mo-zam-bik in Brooklyn.

The traditional theme was immediately obvious from outside, with the hut style building (‘baraca’), busy already in the early evening. This continued inside with rustic touches such as paper on the tables, glass soft-drink bottles for candle holders and condiments, and most excitingly, instead of bread on the tables, there were warm ‘monkey nuts’ wrapped in paper cones on the tables. The atmosphere was relaxed (the restaurant aims to transport you to the beaches of Mozambik), and the service as it was everywhere in South Africa, was amazingly friendly. Our servers – Elizabeth and Beauty, could not have been more hospitable.


 
I ordered a Grape Fanta, and perused the wide ranging menu which offers seafood, steak and chicken, and also some moments of comedy: the no- chilli option was referred to as a ‘girls sauce’. There was also ‘chicken for Girls’ which had no bones and was ‘easy to eat’ – one of my sisters in particular would approve! Comedy aside, there was so much to choose from, I needed advice, and was recommended the Zambeziana ‘baby’ roast chicken with coconut milk, chilli and lime with spinach and rice.

This was no baby chicken. A huge plate arrived soon after, and I was thankful that we’d skipped starters. The chicken was delicious – the sauce zingy and the coconut milk comforting. The chilli sauce was up to my standards! Hotter than you’d find in the UK and with a good flavour.


I polished off as much as I could of the huge dish, but sadly then could not even contemplate dessert. I hope I get an opportunity to go back to sample more of the delicious cuisine!

No comments:

Post a Comment