Thursday 7 January 2010

Nostalgic Trip to Wimpy, High St, Marlow - 3rd January 2010

"I'm worried you might be setting yourselves up for a huge disappointment" - my words of warning to my over-excited sisters as decided to revisit our youth in the Wimpy in Marlow. The majority of Wimpy Restaurants in the UK became Burger King in 1990, but in Marlow-on-Thames, it staunchly remained. (A Burger King in Marlow dahling? How preposterious!) Throughout the nineties and and noughties it existed in its own bubble of 80s decor, until a revamp about a year ago.

My sisters and dad had been struck with the idea that they wanted to celebrate the start of 2010 with a family trip there. We hadn't visited in years and years, and despite my slight cynicism, I allowed myself to be dragged out of bed early on Sunday to join them.

And I'm glad I did...

The table service and proper cutlery and crockery makes it a pretty civilised affair. The service was really quite exceptionally friendly. The food portions were big, well presented and very tasty. No one was disappointed. I don't normally write about chain restaurants on here, but for this one I will make an exception.



Satisfyingly large pot of tea each, marred only by the fact I wasn't able to drink much of it after my dad managed to drop a baked bean in the milk (I won't be bringing him again).



We were offered a variety of condiments - condiments are good.

My dad's immense all day breakfast. He doesn't like beans - he was trying to give them away, hence the bean/milk incident.


And now...Wimpy even serves booze! What's not to love?


6 comments:

  1. I still go there regulary. It's immense! There was one in High Wycombe till about 6 months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never went to the High Wycombe one but walked past it often - it never looked quite as appealing as the one in Marlow.

    Thanks for the comment - I'm liking the look of your food blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wimpy's around the world have that Wimpy'ish feeling to them...no matter where you go. Their breakfasts are great though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one in Marlow is looking pretty plush and swanky since it's revamp though (as bizarre as that sounds). (And nice to hear from you - happy new year!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe the bean in the tea got a mention. It was fairly traumatic, no one could have milk...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's precisely why it got a mention!

    ReplyDelete